Friday, February 1, 2013

Not going to lie; when going over writing Need Statements and Case Statements, I felt a little overwhelmed. I mean I think our book gives a great description of what not to do, what information is crucial, and all that jazz but personally I like to see examples. I want to SEE what is a good Case/Need Statement, rather than a couple of bullets points of what to watch out for. 

This is reason number 34 why I love our teacher. When she handed out that huge booklet of examples I wanted to weep. My confidence in doing these projects soared while going over them- picking them apart and seeing what worked and what didn't. I liked that they all kinda sucked (at least ours did). Not only do I know what format is acceptable; I know from others what sound awful and what sounds professional. 

Example: Do not start off your sentence with, "The need for a Breast Cancer Prevention Project is Great!" 

That was my personal favorite. 

1 comment:

  1. Not only was that exercise crucial in being able to differentiate between professional and lackluster case statements/needs statements, but it also revealed that anyone can write these documents well if they consider their audience. Understanding what your audience needs to know about your non-profit will guarantee a certain degree of thoroughness -- an issue with most of the examples we looked at in class. Keep up the confidence, lady!

    ReplyDelete